Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Let's Do The Time Warp Again!

“Lift your face up!”
I look up to see a transsexual walking toward me with a friend.
“I know you don’t I?”
I smile, “I don’t think so since this is my first time in Vancouver.”
“Well I’d Like Too!” she laughs, and almost hits me with her stick as she walks past.
“Don’t hit him with your stick.” Her friend chimes in, “I have a whip for that.”

They laugh as the walk off down the street.

This is not my first unusual experience in Canada, and I imagine that it will not be the last. If I can find the place, I will be heading to a Rockabilly concert tonight with some friends that I met in Vancouver. I am interested to see how that turns out.

I am also surprised a little bit by British Columbia in general. I have always had very positive experiences with everyone that I have met from Canada, and yet the first person that I talked to as I crossed the border was very unfriendly.

“mumble mumble today”
“I’m doing well, how about you?”
“That’s not what I asked. Where are you from?”
“Alabama”
“Go park your truck and see the lady inside”

Jamaica is the only country that has ever given me more trouble with their international customs. I hope that this is not a trend for Canada.

1 comment:

about the bear said...

i love transvestites and RHPS (as you know). i wish i could have been there. i'm sure the people will get nicer. the first people you met probably see tourists and stupid americans all the time though, which i'm sure gets frustrating.