Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bird on Fire


It took six and a half hours to drive to phoenix, not counting the frequent stops on the side of the road to take cat naps. I am the world’s worst night driver and I will fall asleep at the wheel if I am not careful. I know girl who fell asleep at the wheel and killed someone, so I am very cautious. I spent the night at a Wal-Mart, and by noon the next morning, I was hanging out with Andi talking about photo shoot ideas.

In addition to being quite possibly the prettiest girl that I have ever seen with my own eyes, Andi is also an incredible model and artist. We spent a long time looking at her paintings, drawings, charcoals, images that she had taken, and images that she modeled for. By the end, I was feeling very inadequate. Her work was all very good, and, while I have a lot of work that I am proud of, most of my portfolio is in Tuscaloosa on my external hard drive, so I had little to show her. On top of that, the last minute nature of the shoot, and the fact that I was running on 6 hours of sleep (I need 10) meant that my creative energy was shot.

There I was, with the model of my dreams, and I could barely put together a shoot. I had a wonderful time hanging out with her and her friends, and we ended up doing a set with Caroline, a single mom who looked like Gwen Stefani and wants to open up a bakery, and Caroline’s daughter Addison. I was really pleased with how many of the images came out in spite of the challenging lighting, but I can’t help but feel like I missed out on a lot of potential for shoots that I could have done with Andi.



I will try to convince her to shoot some more with me when I pass back by Phoenix after my hike in the Grand Canyon.

No comments: